Friday, October 24, 2014

Oh, Baby!

What a year this has been. I realize now that Halloween is already next week, and that 2014 will be coming to an end so soon.

My year sure did start off with a bang. I was pregnant with my second child and the little cutie pie arrived January 20th. There was a snowstorm on the 19th and another on the 21st. This kid had great timing.  I hadn't prepared to take traditional maternity leave. As an independent contractor, I don't get paid leave so I just thought to myself that I would take it easy for about 6-8 weeks after she was born. Also- it was the snowiest, iciest, nastiest winter I ever remember since moving to Cincinnati so who would really want to be out there buying and selling houses?

Well, lots of folks. Great people who were unfortunately relocating during a bad winter.

So, I ended up not taking it slow. In fact, I picked up the pace and the month my daughter was born was a personal best. I only turned away one client during this time and that was due to their timing coinciding with the week I came home from the hospital. My husband the police officer thought it was a bad idea if I drove clients around in the snow while on strong pain meds, so I did say no to one. It was soooo hard to do!

I am not writing this for people to feel sorry for me for not getting maternity leave as this was 100% my choice. I also hope that others do not judge a working Mom as we all do what is best for ourselves and our families. I wanted to continue to work. I enjoy it and I enjoyed my new baby so much more this time around. A big reason was that I wasn't cooped up in the house during the most depressing winter. I got to snuggle with her and also leave the house with a purpose. I bonded with her just as well as I did with my first. I don't work 12 hour days so it was great! Very tiring, but wonderful.

So, the year just kept getting better and better and has been my best year for sales since I started the business. I am grateful and proud. I wish all working Moms and Dads could have the flexibility and success that I have experienced this year.

I want to say thank you. For the support, the kind words, the babysitting, the referrals, the business and the trust. Here is to ending the year with a bang, just not another baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment